Spicy Beef & Orange Stew
Light up a winter's night with good for you comfort foods like this delicious take on traditional beef stew. Add the zesty flavor of oranges (Cara Cara oranges are the best if they're in season) and spices, and it's a taste sensation you'll enjoy for dinner and leftover lunches during the week.
- 2 pounds stewing beef cut into cubes
- 5 ounces bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon All purpose flour
- 7/8 cup red wine
- 7/8 cup beef stock
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 oranges 1 zested and both juiced, use Cara Cara oranges in season
- 7 ounces baby carrots
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 300ºF.
- Add the oil to a large oven-proof dish with a lid. Heat over a medium-high setting.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the bacon and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the meat and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add the red wine and stock, stirring to blend in the flour.
- Add red onion, garlic, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, thyme, orange juice and zest.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots.
- Cover with the lid and place in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 to 45 minutes. The meat should be very tender.
- Remove from the oven.
- For best results, let the dish cool and then store in the fridge overnight to allow the flavors to continue to steep together.
- When you are ready to reheat, place the dish back in the oven at 350ºF for 25 to 30 minutes.
You can eat this as soon as it's done, but for the very best results, leave it in the fridge overnight and reheat it the next day.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!