Lemon Spicy Lentil Stew
This tasty lentil stew is the epitome of comfort food. Lemon, tomato and herbs are simmered along with the lentils to create a stew that may even taste better as leftovers. It's flavorful, rich in texture, and can be made vegan or with a beef broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 baby potatoes
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 cup broth vegetable or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Wash the baby potatoes and cut them in half. Place them in a small baking dish in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the baking dish in an oven at 375 degrees F and roast for about 20 minutes as you prepare the rest.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet at a medium-high setting. Saute the mushrooms and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened, and much of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and tomato to the skillet, and continue to saute for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the tomato chunks have softened.
- Add the lentils, and cook, stirring, for a minute or so.
- Pour in the broth, season with chili pepper flakes and salt to taste, and lower the setting to medium-low. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and allow to cool for a minute or two before adding them to the stew.
- Stir to combine, and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes to blend the flavors.
Note: You can use 1 can of lentils in place of cooking them from scratch. Drain and rinse before using.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!