Spicy Lemon Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
You’ve carved out your pumpkin for Halloween, and you’re left with a mess of its insides. Or, maybe you tried growing them in your garden, and now you have a bumper crop of pumpkins. What do you do with it all? Here’s a great idea for a nutritious, healthy, and very flavorful snack. The pumpkins are infused with lemon, roasted, and then spiced for a treat worthy of guests.
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced & zested
- 1 teaspoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Once you’ve gotten everything out of the pumpkin, rinse it and separate out the seeds.
- Dissolve the salt into the water.
- Add the pumpkin seeds and allow them to soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF
- When you’re ready, strain the pumpkin seeds in a colander, and then use a clean dish towel to dry them.
- Place the seeds in a bowl, and add the olive oil, lemon zest, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Toss the seeds to coat them thoroughly.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 10 minutes. This will dry them out thoroughly.
- Remove from the oven and return to the bowl. Now add the black pepper, paprika, and salt. Toss to coat.
- Return the pumpkin seeds to the oven for another 10 minutes or so, stirring them around every 1-2 minutes to brown them evenly.
- When they are beginning to brown, they are done.
- Remove from the oven to a serving dish.
- They can be served warm, or, once they have cooled thoroughly, be stored in an airtight container to snack on whenever you like.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!