Spicy Lemon Chickpea Casserole
Casseroles are a comfort food, with leftovers that often taste even better the next day to fuel a delicious brown bag lunch. This version is vegan, based on nutty chickpeas for a satisfying, yet light meal. Lemon zest and juice, red chilli and spices, kick up the flavor for a taste sensation.
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Lemon zest & juice
- 1 red chilli seeds removed & finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 4 large shallots finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to to 375°F. and lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole or baking dish.
- Add the breadcrumbs and olive oil to a bowl. Stir until the breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Now, add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl, and beat well.
- Add the ricotta, yogurt, and remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Beat together until well blended. Now stir in the broth, lemon zest and juice, stirring to combine.
- Add the chickpeas, rice, shallots, garlic, chilli, coriander seeds, and cumin to the yogurt mixture, stirring to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer to the casserole dish in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with the breadcrumb/cheese topping.
- Bake in the oven on a middle rack for about 45 minutes, or until the topping is a golden brown, and the casserole is bubbling.
- Cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Note: 3 cans (15-ounce) of chickpeas, drained, will be the equivalent of 5 cups cooked.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!