Star Ruby Grapefruit Cake with Mint Glaze
Star ruby grapefruits are beautiful to look at – one of the darkest red of the grapefruit varieties – and pack a nutritional punch. There are many ways to enjoy them from breakfast to dessert. Here’s one of the latter, a rich sour cream cake with the bright flavor of red grapefruits, and a luscious mint infused glaze.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons red grapefruit zest
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons ruby red grapefruit juice freshly squeezed
- 1 banana smashed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint minced
- 3 tablespoons red grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and prepare an 8” x 5” loaf pan.
- Add the sugar and grapefruit zest to a large bowl. Combine until the mixture resembles a grainy paste. You can use your hands to rub it together.
- Beat the mixture as you add the eggs, grapefruit juice, and butter.
- Add the smashed banana, and combine until thoroughly blended.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine the sour cream and milk in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add about a third of the flour mixture to the egg/grapefruit mixture, stirring continuously as you do.
- Now add about a third of the sour cream/milk mixture, continuing to stir.
- Repeat until you have incorporated all the ingredients into one smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to rest for about 15 minutes before you transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- You can add more icing sugar or grapefruit juice to get the consistency you want.
- Drizzle over the cake, and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!