Super Sides: Green Beans With Cara Cara Orange Spice Glaze
Luscious sweet Cara Cara oranges and spice add layers of flavor togreen beans, creating a side dish your family and guests will wantmore of. For vegan appetites, it’s a delicious and nutritious main– simply swap out the bacon topping for more chopped almonds.
- 1/2 lb thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 lb fresh green beans
- 2 Cara Cara oranges zest & juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup almonds chopped
- Trim green beans and chop into pieces about 1-inch long.
- Chop the bacon roughly and cook in a thick saucepan at a medium-low setting as you prepare the beans. When it is crispy, remove from heat, drain, and keep warm.
- In a separate saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter over a medium-high setting. Saute the garlic until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and juice, soy sauce, and enough water, if necessary to make up 1/2 cup (total) of liquid. Stir in the cornstarch until it begins to thicken.
- Add the green beans. Cover and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the rosemary and cook until done to desired level of tenderness (typically 2-3 minutes more).
- Remove the green beans and set on a serving dish. Spoon any sauce/glaze left in the saucepan over them.
- Top with bacon and chopped almonds, and serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!