Sweet Potato & Moro Blood Orange Soup
Here’s a luscious, flavorful soup that will brighten the darkest winter evening. Lit up by the color and nutritional punch of both sweet potatoes and Moro blood oranges, and the spicy zip of ginger, garlic, and chili pepper, it’s the perfect antidote to the mid-winter blues.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 Moro blood orange juiced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled + diced
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black peppercorns to taste
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili peppers and continue to sauté for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions are thoroughly softened, but not browned, stirring frequently.
- Juice the Moro blood orange into the pot, and stir to blend.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stir together, then the vegetable stock.
- Season with salt and black peppercorns to taste.
- Heat to boiling over a medium-high setting, and then bring to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup in a food processor in small batches.
- Serve hot, garnished with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!