Ultimate Lemon Herb Roasted Turkey With Gravy
Here’s a version of roast turkey that’s so good, you won’t want to wait for the next holiday to make it again. Lemon, herbs, and garlic are infused into the turkey, and result in flavorful, tender meat, and a gravy you won’t be able to get enough of. Invite the whole extended family, your office BFFs, or whoever you like to justify making this delectable feast.
- 1 turkey 14 to 18 pounds
- 8 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 6 fresh sage sprigs
- 3 lemons cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 onion peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel grated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 1/2 cups turkey stock or chicken
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small shallot chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel finely grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage chopped
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Rinse the turkey and pat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Blend the chopped lemons, rosemary, sage, garlic, and onions in a large bowl, and spoon into the turkey cavity, folding the skin flap under to hold it in place.
- Blend the olive oil, Dijon mustard, chopped rosemary, grated lemon peel, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the seasoned mixture all over the turkey.
- Place the turkey breast side up in a large roasting pan.
- Roast for 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 hours, until thoroughly cooked, or when a meat thermometer registers 160°F.
- Remove the herbs, lemons and onions from the cavity, and transfer the turkey to a platter as you make the gravy.
- Add the juices to a measuring cup. Spoon off the fat from the top, and set aside.
- Add the reserved fat to a large saucepan and heat over a medium-high setting. Saute the garlic and shallots until fragrant, or about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, and cook until a golden brown.
- Now add the pan juices and turkey stock, stirring as it thickens.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes.
- When it’s ready, whisk in the lemon peel, fresh sage, and crème fraîche just before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!