Vegan Meyer Lemon Tart
Meyer lemons lend their unique flavor profile to this luscious tart – suitable to serve to your vegan friends, and so delicious, your non-vegetarian friends won’t notice the difference unless you tell them. With a light crust and tart and creamy filling, it fits with virtually any diet, including dairy-free, grain-free, and gluten-free as well as vegan.
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 Meyer lemons zest & juice
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
The night before:
- Make sure to refrigerate the 14-ounce can of full fat coconut milk you’ll be using in the whipped topping overnight.
- Place the raw cashews in a bowl of cold water, making sure they are all submerged, and allow them to soak in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and lightly grease a 9" pie or tart pan.
- Measure the oats, almonds, sea salt, and coconut sugar into a bowl and blend at a high speed until the mixture resembles a fine meal.
- Add the maple syrup and the melted coconut oil a little at a time. If it is too dry, you can add up to 1 more tablespoon of melted coconut oil. Stir until the mixture is a loose pastry dough - not too crumbly.
- Press into the prepared tart pan evenly across the bottom and up the sides. To press down tighter, cover the pan with a sheet of clean parchment paper, and use a heavy object like a glass to press it and pack it firmly into place. Gently poke a few holes evenly across the surface with a fork to allow hot air to escape without damaging the pie crust.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Then, increase the heat to 375 F, and bake for an additional 5 minutes. The edges should be a golden brown color, with a light browning on the surface of the pastry.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
- Measure the cashews, coconut milk, Meyer lemon juice and zest – leaving 1 tablespoon for the garnish – maple syrup, coconut oil, and sea salt into a blender.
- Blend the mixture until smooth and creamy, and pour into the crust. Use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until set.
Coconut Whipped Topping:
- Take the can of coconut cream from the fridge and open it. You will likely have to scoop out the contents into a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, and blend until creamy.
- When the tart is set, spread the coconut cream over it evenly, and sprinkle with reserved 1 tablespoon of Meyer lemon zest.
Note: You can take 1 tablespoon of the Meyer lemon juice from the filling to add to the crust without changing the flavor.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!