Cara Cara Orange Rum Caramel Sauce
Lit up by the pink hue and sweet-tart taste of Cara Cara oranges, this sauce is a delicious addition to everything from plain pound cake to ice cream, pancakes and French toast, or even a bowl of fresh fruit.
- 1/2 cup Cara Cara orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cara Cara orange zest
Add the Cara Cara orange juice, brown sugar, corn syrup, and rum to a medium saucepan over a medium setting.
Swirl the pot gently every few seconds as the mixture begins to warm and the sugar dissolves.
Continue to swirl the pot as the sauce simmers. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture deepens in color to a deep golden, and you can smell a toasty aroma.
Remove the sauce from the heat, and stir in the cream and butter quickly until fully incorporated.